This page lists:
- Links to websites and articles describing motivational interviewing
- A list of every scientific publication on Motivational Interviewing since the first one in 1983
- A list of essential books in Motivational Interviewing
- Contact information for training videos in Motivational Interviewing
- Tools for the use of Health Care Professionals
- Tools for the use of clients
- A free three hour training video on Motivational Interviewing
Websites Describing Motivational Interviewing
- Motivational Interviewing official website
- University of New Mexico: documentation on motivational interviewing
- Stephen Rollnick: one of the founders of motivational interviewing
Articles Describing Motivational Interviewing
- Article – Assaad-Kayser – l’inhalo vol.23no.3 – English – Sept2006
- McIvor.Kayser.Assaad – Smoking Cessation Article – Canadian Respiratory Journal 2009.16(4).129-134
- Article – Assaad-Kayser-Zozula-Gelineau- Psychologie Quebec – Mai2010
- Entrevue motivationnelle & habitudes de vie – Survol des écrits – octobre 2008
- Kayser, Assaad, et al. – Le changement par l’écoute – Perspective infirmière – mai-juin 2008 – vol.5 no.5
- Article – Entrevue motivationnelle – Assaad-Kayser – OIIQ 2006
- Glynn, L. H., & Moyers, T. B. (2010). Chasing change talk: the clinician’s role in evoking client language about change. J Subst Abuse Treat, 39(1), 65-70.
- Miller, W. R., & Rose, G. S. (2009). Toward a theory of motivational interviewing. Am Psychol, 64(6), 527-537.
- Hettema, J., Steele, J., & Miller, W. R.. (2005). Motivational interviewing. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 1, 91-111.
Complete list of scientific publications on Motivational Interviewing from the first one in 1983 to 2010
- Consult list (in pdf)
List of essential books in motivational interviewing
- Miller, W. R., & Rollnick, S. Motivational Interviewing, Third Edition: Helping People Change (2012). New York: Guilford Press.
- Miller, W. R., & Rollnick, S. Motivational interviewing: Preparing people for change (2nd ed.) (2002). New York: Guilford Press.
- Miller, W. R., & Rollnick, S. (1991). Motivational interviewing: Preparing people to change addictive behavior. New York: Guilford Press.
Tools for the use of Health Care Professionals
- Tools available here
Tools for the use of clients
- Tools available here
Free Training Video
A three hour introduction to Motivational Interviewing Training Video by Jean-Marc Assaad, psychologist. This training video was recorded as part of an Empowering Diabetes Management in Youth conference at McGill University, but the principles and methods described in the video are applicable to all health behavior change.
NOTE: To view the video, you need to create a free McGill University – Continuing Health Professional Education (CHPE) Member Account (it takes less than 1 minute to complete).
Training videos on Motivational Interviewing
Motivational Interviewing: Professional Training Series, 1998. William R. Miller & Stephen Rollnick. Directed by Theresa B. Moyers.
“This series of six videotapes or two DVDs, produced at the University of New Mexico, is intended to be used as a resource in professional training, offering six hours of clear explanation and practical modeling of component skills. Because it is helpful to see how a method is practiced in various contexts, the tapes include clinical demonstrations of the skills of motivational interviewing, showing ten different therapists working with twelve clients who bring a variety of problems. Drs. Miller and Rollnick are deeply grateful to Terri Moyers, who volunteered many weeks of her time for the planning, directing, editing, and completion of these tapes.”
To order contact:
2650 Yale SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106 USA
Phone: 1-505 925-2378
Fax: 1-505 925-2379